Snack in a Backpack
Glenn’s “Snack in a Backpack” project provides food for 150 children at Hope-Hill Elementary School who receive free meals at school but need supplemental food on the weekends. We pack the backpacks on Thursday nights at 7 pm in the Glenn Fellowship Hall. This is a family friendly activity, and all are welcome to participate! No advance sign up is required to pack -- just come join us! The backpacks are delivered to the school each Friday for the children to pick up and then return them on Mondays. For more information, contact Deborah Marlowe at email@example.com
Summer Mission: Smart Lunch Smart Kid
The summer of 2013 Glenn made 200 sandwiches each week for Action Ministries' SLSK program. The program exceeded its goal of proving 200,000 lunches and actually served 210,055 lunches across 24 cities in 13 counties! Click here for a news release regarding the accomplishments for summer 2013. Join us again this summer - Thursdays, 7pm, in Ward Hall.
KIDS & FAMILY Night @ Smart Lunch, Smart, Kid
Thursday, July 24, 6:00pm (earlier time!)
Families with children are invited to lead our weekly summer outreach to kids in need by helping make sandwiches on Thursday, July 24th, 6:00pm, in the Ward Fellowship Hall. All are welcome
- Volunteering to shop for food on a monthly or occasional basis
- Volunteering as an individual or as a group (Sunday School class, Circle, committee, etc.) to pack backpacks from 7:00– 7:45 pm on Thursday evenings in the Fellowship Hall.
- Donating food (see list below)
- Writing a check to Glenn Memorial designated for “Snack in a Backpack.” You may feed a child each week for approximately $6 per backpack.
Food Items Needed
- milk (no refrigeration required);
- juice boxes;
- breakfast items (such as single-portion boxes of cereal, Pop Tarts, or cereal bars such as Quaker Oatmeal Bars to Go – no Nutrigrain bars since these tend to get mashed in the backpacks);
- protein items (such as pop-top cans of spaghetti-Os, ravioli, vienna sausages; canned tuna or beanie-weenies);
- granola bars;
- fruit cups (mixed fruit cups and apple sauce);
- cracker –type snacks (such as peanut butter crackers or gold fish);
- desserts (such as pudding cups and cookies); and
- dried fruit snacks (such as fruit leather or real-fruit gummies; the children do not like to receive raisins or Trail Mix which contains raisins).
- Food donations may be left in the designated box under the front stairs inside the CSB or in the large baskets in the sanctuary.
Volunteer to Help,
or Sign up to Lead the Packing on a Thursday Night
If you would like to shop, pack backpacks, or pick up backpacks, contact Deborah Marlowe at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 404-856-5508 or Jane Thorpe at email@example.com
or 404-881-7822. Or just complete the form below, and someone will be in touch with you soon.
Groups or individuals may also sign up to be "Packing Captains" for leading the packing of 185 sacks of food on a Thursday night at 7 pm in the Judson C. Ward Fellowship Hall. Packing Captains are responsible for having at least 8 packers present. More packers are always welcome! The packing typically takes 30 - 40 minutes to complete. For additional information, contact Deborah Marlowe at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Jane Thorpe at email@example.com.